Amish Canning & Preserving: How to Make Soups, Sauces, Pickles, Relishes, and More (Paperback)
Not in the store. We can order it and should have it in store in 3-5 business days.
Enter the Amish world of hard work, sturdy families, and the freshest produce.
The Amish are known for their canning practices, which are essential to communities of large families and even larger gardens. Written by Amish writer Laura Anne Lapp, Amish Canning & Preserving offers sixty classic recipes for all varieties of fresh garden-made fruits and vegetables.
Recipes are written with Amish-style simplicity and no-nonsense instructions, perfect for novices and experienced preservationists alike. Recipes include a multitude of homemade pickles, relishes, brines, and more, including:
- Fruits: Applesauce, Blueberry Pie Filling, Apple Pie Filling, Fruit Pudding (or Mush)
- Tomatoes: Stewed Tomatoes, Homemade V-8 Juice, Pizza Sauce, Ketchup, Salsa
- Pickles: Sweet Kosher Dill Pickles, Mustard Pickles, Banana Pickles
- Pickled Vegetables: Crisp Dilly Green Beans, Pickled Beets, Harvard Beets
- Relishes: Green Tomato Relish, Onion Relish, Zucchini Relish
- Jams and Jellies: Strawberry Jam, Grape Jelly, Elderberry Jelly, Hot Pepper Jam
- Sweet Spreads: Pear Butter, Pear Honey, Easy Apple Butter
- Soups: Cream of Celery Soup, Ham and Bean Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup
- And much more!
Amish Canning & Preserving gives readers a close-up of a world seldom seen to show how canning and preserving and Amish life work rhythmically together.
“Growing up Amish, the eldest daughter in a family of seven, canning and preserving were always a part of family life, a part of summertime that went hand in hand with gardening. Now, as a mother of four growing boys with a large garden, I still find canning and preserving a part of my summer tradition. I love gardening, and preserving the beauty of my garden is just another part of that tradition.”
About the Author
Laura Anne Lapp, a member of the Amish church, lives with her husband and three young sons in a tucked-away valley in central Pennsylvania. Before her marriage, she was a teacher in an Amish school for eight years.