An Evening with 826 Boston

826 Boston presents REVENGE OF THE BOOK EATERS

A unique, awe-inspiring synthesis of the literary, comedy and music communities in support of 826 Boston’s innovative programming for kids

Featuring: Kevin Barnes and Bryan Poole (Of Montreal), Mates of State, Dave Eggers, Eugene Mirman, Davy Rothbart, Rodney Rothman and Via Audio.

Berklee Performance Center

Wednesday, September 26, 7 PM. Doors open at 6:30 PM.

1140 Boylston Street (Hynes Green Line stop), Boston

Tickets: $25 – $150 (VIP), reserved seating

Tickets available through Ticketmaster, www.ticketmaster.com

617-931-2000 / Berklee Box Office / 136 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston

All proceeds go toward 826 Boston’s free student programming

Boston, MA August 6, 2007 – 826 Boston is pleased to announce its Revenge of the Book Eaters fundraiser, featuring an eclectic lineup of writers, actors, and comedians including Kevin Barnes and Bryan Poole from the band Of Montreal (performing an acoustic set) and indie rockers Mates of State, as well as Dave Eggers (co-founder of the 826 National program, Pulitzer Prize-nominated author), Eugene Mirman (comedian and actor, Flight of the Conchords), Davy Rothbart (creator of Found magazine) and Rodney Rothman (Emmy nominee and author of Early Bird) and the band Via Audio.

Revenge of the Book Eaters has toured nationally and played to great popular acclaim in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle and elsewhere. The bulk of the tour took place in 2006 and earned glowing reviews from Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, and New York Magazine. Last summer saw the birth of this benefit at 826 NYC, when Revenge of the Book Eaters delivered an extremely entertaining comedic-storytelling-meets-music-hoedown at New York’s Beacon Theatre. The event sold out the 3000-seat house in less than 24 hours; demand for tickets was so high that the venue offered up rarely used standing-room-only spots for sale. It attracted favorable preview and review press coverage in The New Yorker, New York, Pitchfork, The Onion, Time Out NY, Artforum, Billboard, Variety, Spin, Jane, The Village Voice, Newsday, The New York Oberver, Gawker, Gothamist, Brooklyn Vegan, Stereogum and many others. Rolling Stone called the first Revenge of the Book Eaters event in New York, “sweet, perfect,” and wrote that it left “everybody — authors, musicians and audience members — feeling as if they left winning.”

$150 VIP tickets guarantee the best seat in the house and include admission to a pre-event cocktail reception with the performers. Seating is assigned within sections.

About the performers:

Kevin Barnes and Bryan Poole (from Of Montreal ) hail from Athens, Georgia. Of Montreal is currently celebrating their tenth year together, and their latest album Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? has garnered glowing reviews from critics and fans alike.

Mates of State formed in Lawrence, Kansas and have since moved to the West Coast. They have released five 7” records and two full-length albums; their latest album, Bring it Back, is available from Barsuk Records.

Via Audio is a New York-based band, formed while members were students at Berklee College of Music. Their debut album, Say Something Say Something Say Something, will be released on September 25th.

Dave Eggers is a former Salon editor and founder of Might magazine and McSweeney’s publishing house. He co-founded 826 National with educator Nínive Calegari. He is the author of the novels A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (a Pulitzer Prize finalist) and You Shall Know Our Velocity, as well as the short story collection How We Are Hungry and, most recently, What Is The What.

Eugene Mirman is a Brooklyn-based comedian who regularly tours with his multimedia stand up routines. He is a regular on HBO’s Flight of the Conchords, as well as Late Night With Conan O’Brien and Comedy Central’s Premium Blend. His first comedy CD/DVD was voted a Best Album by both Time Out NYC and The Onion, and his latest recording was released by Sub Pop Records.

Davy Rothbart is a writer and filmmaker from Ann Arbor, Michigan who has appeared at past 826 benefits. He is the creator of Found magazine and author of the story collection The Lone Surfer of Montana, Kansas, and has edited several anthologies of Found artwork. Rothbart regularly contributes to NPR’s This American Life. Recently, Geffen Records released his documentary How We Survive.

Rodney Rothman is an Emmy nominee who has worked for The Late Show with David Letterman, Undeclared, and Committed, Rodney Rothman is a screenwriter and producer whose 2005 memoir, Early Bird, received much critical acclaim. Rothman has written a pilot for HBO, as well as an adaptation of his memoir for NBC.

About 826 Boston:

826 Boston is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind, we provide drop-in tutoring, after-school workshops, in-schools tutoring, help for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student’s power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice.

We began in-schools work this spring with a special series of workshops at The English High School. Talented volunteers came once a week to work with students, who wrote about their lives. Additionally, a number of local authors, including Junot Díaz, Steve Almond and Kelly Link, spoke at the high school library about their experiences as published writers. The workshop series will culminate in the publication of a book of essays written by the students, discussing their experiences as young adults, both inside and outside of their educational lives.  

Upon opening in the fall at our brand new Roxbury headquarters, we plan to reach students at every possible opportunity—in school, after school, in the evenings, or on the weekends through the following free programs:

One-on-One Tutoring

826 Boston will be open five days a week to students who come in for free, one-on-one drop-in tutoring. We will serve students of all skill levels and interests, particularly those who attend school or live in our Roxbury neighborhood. During the summer, our tutoring program will cater exclusively to English language-learners.

Workshops

826 Boston will offer free workshops that provide in-depth writing instruction in a variety of areas that schools often can’t include in their curriculum, such as college entrance essay writing, cartooning, bookmaking, SAT preparation, playwriting, or starting a magazine. All workshops will be project-based and taught by experienced, accomplished professionals. Connecting inner-city students with these creative and generous mentors allows students to dream and achieve on a grand scale. Our goal is to serve at least 300 students in 30 multi-session workshops in our first year of operation

Field Trips

Up to four times a week, 826 Boston will welcome an entire class for a morning of high-energy learning. We will draw on 826 Valencia’s most popular workshop, Storytelling & Bookmaking, in which students write, illustrate, and bind their own books within a two-hour period. 

In-Schools Programs

It is not feasible for all classes to come to us, so we will dispatch teams of volunteers into local schools. At a teacher’s behest, we will send the requested number of tutors into any classroom around the city, to provide one-on-one assistance to students as they tackle various projects — school newspapers, research papers, oral histories, basic writing assignments, and college entrance essays.

Student Publishing

We know that the quality of one’s writing is greatly enhanced when it’s shared with an authentic audience, so we are committed to publishing student work. In addition to dozens of smaller in-house publications, we will produce a professionally published student literary anthology, as well as at least one special-project book, such as The English High School collection mentioned earlier. We believe young voices have great value and so with the support of local graphic artists we will work to ensure that the production quality of our publications meets the high standards set by our students’ work.

http://www.826boston.org

http://www.826national.org

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/44956-of-montreal-eggers-mirman-join-boston-book-eaters

http://www.bookeaters.org